Monday, April 18, 2011

Memory

My memory of things is not the best.  I feel like it has gotten worse as I became a mother. For this reason every time I get a sweet memory of something that just arises in my mind that I totally forgot that happened in my life I'm going to write it down because I just don't want to forget.

I remember when...... I was 8 years old shortly after my grandmother died. It was my first experience of someone close to me who had died. I didn't have the knowledge that I have now about the plan of salvation. I didn't even know what death was. My mother sat on the sofa crying hysterically because she had lost her mother. I approached her to comfort her and to ask what was wrong. My mother looked at me with tears in her eyes and said "grandma is gone". Confused I asked her what she meant by that. She told me that she was sleeping for a long time and that she wont ever wake up, that I wouldn't be able to see her again. Then finally it clicked and I understood what my mother was trying to tell me and I cried right along with her. I remember a few days after that I grabbed a balloon and I wrote a letter to God about my grandmother. A very heartfelt letter and I went to the top of an extremely tall apartment building and released the balloon. I watched that balloon float to the sky until I couldn't see it anymore. I was confident that it would reach God. I recently shared this story with my husband. I told him "I wish I could see what I had wrote on that balloon to God".

No comments: